Ever mind the fact that some folks still think depression is a joke or something to be scoffed at, essential oils or Aromatherapy are the ideal remedies. Indeed they have been clinically proven to ease and even cure this silent killer. This article discusses how to use essential oils for depression.
Essential oils can actually be quite potent in eliminating unwanted toxins from our systems and even affecting our hormones positively. Not only have they been known to ease the pain but they can also carry oxygen to the cells of the body.
Amazingly these oils applied to the skin, for instance, can be detected in the blood within only 20 seconds. The molecules in the oil are smaller than the cells in our bodies meaning that they can penetrate and effect change in the body at every level you can think of including muscular, skeletal, nervous, digestive, respiratory, circulatory, urinary, and even reproductive systems amongst others.
Here are 50 effective ways that you can effectively use essential oil as a real option to restored health.
1. Blending bergamot with lavender and applying it on your abdomen works. A study proved that this treatment decreased pulse rate and blood pressure as well as impacting emotions and leaving a more calm and relaxed person.
2. Yet another study in Korea of daily hand massage using an essential oil combination of frankincense, bergamot and lavender lowered levels of pain and depression.
3. Depression sometimes causes unimaginable migraine attacks. Combining a few drops of peppermint oil and lavender oil and then applying the mixture to the temples can be a great help with migraines and headaches.
4. Improved digestion is essential in dealing with certain cases of depression. This can easily be achieved by simply ingesting ginger oil, fennel and peppermint oil which usually has a very healing effect on leaky gut.
5. This one many are already familiar with. Simply inhale peppermint oil, bergamot or grapefruit. Helps dramatically in improving concentration which may be a real problem in cases of depression.
6. Take a warm moist hand towel and add a mixture of 2 drops basil, sage and rosemary. You can then apply the warm hand towel to your abdomen to relieve PMS.
7. Improving circulation in your body also impacts depression positively. Take a bath with warm bathwater that you have added 8-10 drops of grapefruit essential oil to.
8. The reality is that quite often folks suffering from depression find solace in alcohol. This just makes things worse, especially with the hangover symptoms that inevitably follow. Adding 6 drops cedarwood, grapefruit, juniper berry, lemon, lavender and rosemary oil to a warm bath you take will ease these symptoms.
9. Food cravings are yet another symptom of depression which usually aggravates the situation further. To restrain food cravings just inhale cinnamon oil and peppermint oil. This also balances blood sugar as well as reducing appetite.
10. A good regular workout is ideal in this case. Get a lot of help in terms of being energized for your workouts by inhaling peppermint oil before your exercise. This will reduce fatigue.
11. Obviously weight gain is the last thing you want to happen to somebody who is depressed. An essential oils supplement you can make and take three times daily will work wonders in supporting your metabolism and helping you lose weight. Make this weight loss supplement by mixing ginger oil, grapefruit oil and cinnamon oil.
12. Boost your immune system to fight off depression by mixing one drop of oregano oil with 4 drops of carrier oil and rubbing it gently on the bottom of the feet.
13. Back and neck pain can be reduced and controlled with a combination of peppermint oil, ginger oil, cypress oil, coconut oil and cayenne pepper used as a muscle rub.
14. Get a 15ml roll on bottle and then create a mixture of 1 drop Orange essential oil, 20 drops Cedarwood essential oil, 20 drops Palmarosa essential oil,10 drops Lavender essential oil, 60 drops sweet almond oil, and 10 drops Ylang Ylang essential oil. Mix all these ingredients in the roll-on bottle and use when required on the back of neck or bottoms of the feet.
15. Unexpressed anger can do you great harm. You need to release this anger. Some great essential oils that help to release unexpressed anger include; Patchouli, Ginger, Clove, Cedarwood and Black Pepper.
16. Adding rose oil to your bath or inhaling it always boosts the mood and can be a great help in relieving depression.
17. When you urgently need instant relaxation rub a combination of 2-4 drops of chamomile, peppermint essential oil, and lavender on your temples. What follows is a cooling effect and instant relaxation.
18. Or you can gently rub a single drop of lavender oil on your hands and then let the aroma relax you by cupping your hands to your nose.
19. Massage therapy using unscented lotion mixed with a few drops of cedarwood or lavender oil will also produce great results.
20. Incidentally lavender oil is also pretty effective in dealing with insomnia. All you need to do is splash a little lavender oil on the pillow you will sleep on.
21. A natural body butter lotion to use instead of the usual toxic stuff can also go a long way in helping a person recover from depression. Simply use essential oils mixed with shea butter, magnesium oil and coconut oil.
22. A sauna will always be much more therapeutic when you add just two drops of essential oil to 2 cups of water in the sauna.
23. Children are sensitive and difficult to calm but just by rubbing chamomile or lavender oil on their stuffed toys will make a huge difference.
24. A foot bath can be very soothing and taken regularly can produce excellent results in a patient suffering from depression. Just add eucalyptus oil or lemon oil to the large bowl of warm water for the foot bath.
25. Yoga and meditation are perhaps the most popular remedies for depression these days. Before the class inhale lavender or sandalwood oil and note the difference it makes.
26. Hot cocoa with two or three drops of peppermint oil has also been proven to produce very good results.
27. Admittedly you may love your favorite perfume but for healing why not opt for natural essential oils perfume. A few drops of jasmine essential oil on your wrist will do just fine. For men cypress and clove essential oils will be more appropriate while many women love vanilla or lavender scents.
28. Even the shampoo you use can be called upon to help heal depression. Coconut milk, aloe vera gel mixed with lacender and rosemary oil will produce that all homemade shampoo.
29. How about a sugar or salt scrub? Start with a rock sugar or salt and add almond oil and essential oil.
30. Brush your teeth with a combination of sea salt, baking soda, xylitol, peppermint essential oil and coconut oil which makes excellent homemade remineralizing toothpaste.
31. For those who just love their body spray you can easily produce a therapeutic one with 5 to 10 drops of essential oil in every 4 ounces of water.
32. Some people suffering from depression will often end up with a very itchy scalp. Cedarwood, Lavendar or basil will reduce that itching instantly.
33. To thicken your hair and increase its’ volume in the aftermath of a serious bout of depression simply add rosemary oil to the shampoo you use.
34. For a real stress reducer use the following recipe; 2 drops Bergamot Citrus aurantium var. bergamia oil, 3 drops of Ylang ylang Cananga odorata var. genuina oil and 5 drops of Lavender Lavandula angustifolia oil. Blend thoroughly and add just three drops to your full bath water. Or use it for a hand or foot bath daily. If you prefer a shower you can add the mixture to the liquid soap you shower with.
35. Patients suffering from mild to moderate depression showed improvement in a British study after taking 60 drops of lavender tincture per day.
36. Lavendar comes highly recommended as the essential oil that produces great results for anxiety and depression. Its’ pleasant fragrance is very widely used to ease stress and tension. Its’ inhalation has even been known to ease anxiety in dental patients.
37. Chamomile tea is known for its’ sedative effect. The essential has in fact been clinically tested and proved to have clear antidepressant effects.
38. Rose essential oil is so potent that a test done on women in labor showed a dramatic decrease in anxiety levels.
39. Yet another study in Korea proved that Ylang Ylang and a blend of other essential oils when inhaled reduced stress in hypertension patients.
40. Environment is a major factor in stress and depression. Clove, orange essential oils and rosemary will not only impress visitors to your house but it will also heal you.
41. Take your fire log and about 30 minutes before you light the fire add a mixture to it of cedarwood oil, sandalwood and pine.
42. Cinamon essential oil can also be an air purifier. And one that is also pretty healthy.
43. Wash your fruits and vegetables in a large container of water that you have put two drops of lemon oil in.
44. For those who love their tea, simply drop a little peppermint essential oil.
45. When painting your home add peppermint and eucalyptus oil to every gallon of paint you use and you will dispel fumes and detoxify the air.
46. Flavored lemon water can reverse the effects of all those toxic drinks you love that just make your depression worse. All you need to do is add two to three drops of lemon oil and you get a nice citrus flavor.
47. How does your home medicine cabinet look? You can turn it into a family physician kit by filling it with essential oils. You should always have frankincense, oregano, lavender, lemon, peppermint and tea tree.
48. Take some unscented lotion and add to it 3 to 5 drops of geranium, sandalwood, lavender, and frankincense oil. Apply this to your face and watch what it does to all those wrinkles fast-tracked by depression.
49. Some folks will only use Doterra oils because of their purity when it comes to home essential oils remedies for depression.
50. Menopause can come with anxiety and depression. Try Clary sage which is an especially inviting sweet oil that is softly floral. It has a very soothing effect on nervous tension and is also said to have an uncanny natural affinity with the female reproductive organs.
There you go. Plenty of ideas and ways here on how to use essential oils for depression.